Chitika

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Agile bird shows off remarkable gymnastic skills


This bearded tit proved quite the acrobat when she landed on an awkward perch.

Lea Roberts photographed the agile bird doing the splits between two reeds in East Tilbury, Essex.

The 42-year-old, from East Tilbury, said: 'I spotted some of the birds flying in and out of the reeds so I decided to wait there with my camera.

'As luck would have it, this one popped up right in front of me and I was able to take a photograph.
'It's characteristic of the birds to perch like this and this one proved quite the gymnast - she managed to stay in the same position for around 15 seconds.

'It's the first time I've captured one of the birds doing this and I'm pretty chuffed.'


Bearded tits are usually spotted flying rapidly across the top of a reedbed.

But rather than having bearded the males have black 'moustaches'.

They are sociable and noisy , their 'ping' calls often being the first clue to their presence. 

They are particularly vulnerable to severe winters and their population has declined in recent years, making them an Amber List species.
Bearded tits are particularly vulnerable to long cold winters, when populations can be reduced to mere handfuls.

No comments:

Chitika

Related Posts with Thumbnails