Chitika

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Caught a 5lb, 16ins goldfish?...What a MIRACLE

Nick Richards was bowled over when he reeled in this 5lb goldfish.

The 16-year-old angler was amazed to have caught the massive orange specimen while fishing at a local lake.

It is likely the 16 inch fish was released into the water after outgrowing its tank - and has apparently thrived in its new environment.

Schoolboy Nick was fishing for common carp when he noticed a flash of colour under the surface of the water and pointed his rod in its direction.


Moments later he had the goldfish, which is a type of carp usually found in fairgrounds and garden ponds, hooked on the end of the line.

It is thought Nick's catch, which he placed back in the water after taking this photograph, is
the biggest in the UK.

Recalling the one that didn't get away, he said of the lake in Poole, Dorset: 'I'd heard rumours there might be some big carp there and thought I'd see for myself.
'I was there for two days running and caught some big common carp.

'Then suddenly I saw this big orange fish cruising along the top of the lake.'
Nick, who is from Camberley, Surrey, and was on holiday in Dorset when he caught the goldfish, continued: 'It wasn't too much trouble to reel it in.


'At first I thought it must be a really fat Koi carp, but when I saw it properly I realised it was a common goldfish - just like one you might keep as a pet.

'The only difference was that it was massive. It weighed 5lb when I put it on the scales.

'I can only think that it had got too big for someone's tank or pond and the owner had  dumped it in the lake.

'It looked like it was healthy and in good condition. The lake is sheltered with plenty of food, so it's doing pretty well.'

No comments:

Chitika

Related Posts with Thumbnails